I don’t make resolutions. Mostly because that word itself sets me up for immediate failure. And when I make lists that involve the word “no” (i.e. No chocolate, no crappy television, no letting the dog sleep in my bed), the stubborn brat in me wants all of these things to the point of over-indulgence. So, this year, I’m goal setting and I’m saying no to “no.” Instead of “no ice cream,” maybe it’s “ice cream only after a Saturday 5 miler” or “no spending money on clothes” will become “spend money only when your credit card is paid.” No to no.
I do, however, make goals and so, everything I set out to do this year, will not be thought of as an “I can’t have” but rather a measurable, attainable if and when goal.
Now the obvious – my biggest goal for 2016 is to run a full marathon. I’m signed up. I’m training. I’ve got the shoes, the gels, the tunes, the sparkly headbands and the chiropractic appointments scheduled. Now it’s time to cross that finish line, baby. But here’s some other things I’m hoping to achieve in 2016:
- Read more, Candy Crush less
- Blog more, Candy Crush less
- More trips to the dog park for Pawko
- Get better at media pitching
- Be more attentive and compassionate towards others
- Lift heavier, Candy Crush less
- Travel more for New Found Glory
- Travel somewhere new
- Cook more, dine out less
- Satisfy sweet tooth ONLY if a 30 minute workout or 10,000 steps have been achieved for the day
I’m sure there’s more and I bet you as I thought about writing this blog, I had a million I could put down. But, of course, I should’ve done it then because they’re far from the mind now.
Happy 2016 to you all. And remember: Candy Crush less.