Happy New Year! It’s January 2nd and I’m still suffering from an NYE champagne hangover. I blame it on the fact that from Christmas till NYE, I got whatever cold is going around along with the fact that I need to realize I just cannot drink like I did in my early 20s. Needless to say, January 1st was supposed to be my first official marathon training day, but that did not happen.
Back to that cold thing… man – I thought I got off easy with just a terrible sore throat, but it got worse Thursday night, so I went to bed at 7 p.m. and literally could not leave my bed (except to go to the bathroom) until 9 a.m. Saturday. It was rough and I have never really been happier to breathe fresh air. Between that and a week of bad eating, my body is certainly feeling the repercussions. Everything from a food belly to an awful case of acne is happening, but of course, its time to kick all of that in the ass. As such, I was up dark and early to begin training with a three mile treadmill run and a one mile cool down walk. While it wasn’t my best due to the aforementioned circumstances, it felt a hell of a lot better than laying in bed all day.
As I enter 2018 with a positive outlook and a big goal in mind, I set up a few smaller, attainable goals to help me get there. Ten to be exact. They are daily action items that will keep me focused on the bigger goals ahead. And since you asked, here they are:
- No alcohol until Valentine’s Day
- Only black coffee or tea (no sweet, sugary coffees)
- No eating out unless previously scheduled or necessary for work
- Meet 10,000 step goal daily
- Go to sleep by 10 p.m., if not earlier
- Drink a gallon of water per day
- Take vitamins daily
- Take an Epsom Salt bath at least once per week
- Make extra time for stretching and foam rolling
- Make your shopping list on Friday and grocery shop by noon on Saturday
What’s your goal for 2018 and what are you going to do to get there?